The Dramatics & Cultural Association of XLRI
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Once Upon a Time - 11

Shivani Nigam
P06055


Once upon a time, I used to think,
Why was the Indian dress invented,
So cumbersome, and elaborate,
I thought the inventor demented.

For in jeans and shorts,
I felt at home,
Kicking and jumping,
I could play and roam.

Till that one forsaken day,
I can never forget,
For it taught me the use,
Of the long, Indian dress.

For I had made it to XL,
And wanted to celebrate the news!
‘It’s family time’ said my parents.
‘We’ve planned a small get together for you.’

‘Go wear a Salwar Kurta.
The whole family is coming,
No shorts or capris,
They are very unbecoming.’

So again I whined and complained,
For the Indian dress was so irritating,
But they wouldn’t budge,
So I silently changed and quit debating.

Chachas, chachis, aunts and uncles
The ‘small’ get together, didn’t seem that small,
They were drinking and chatting all at once,
Everyone seemed to be having a ball.

So I joined in and had a drink too many,
Turned green and headed to the loo,
Crossing my fingers that the nausea would pass,
Or it will turn all the fun into blues.

But gladly it passed,
And it seemed I was fine,
I peed and headed out,
All ready to dine.

And suddenly in the room,
Everyone seemed to stare,
I wondered were they drunk,
Coz I had some lime to spare.

As I followed their gaze,
I looked down to the floor,
And saw my bare legs,
With the salwar bundled at my soles.

I hadn’t put it back on!
In my inebriated state.
I gasped and ran,
With laughter in my wake…

The nausea returned,
As I dashed out of the hall,
I think I passed out,
Coz that’s all I can recall.

And as I lie now, mortified,
And hung over in a mess,
The one thing, I can think of -
‘THANK GOD for the long, Indian dress!’

posted by DRACULA at - 1 Comments -

Blogger SuperMus said...
October 11, 2007 at 10:06 PM  

Can't stop giggling :D Nice poem!

Post a comment